The WV Elevation and LIDAR Data Download Tool (www.mapwv.gov/elevation or www.mapwv.gov/lidar) allows users to identify areas of interest and download LiDAR point cloud files and derived elevation products (DEM, hillshade, contours). DEM Mosaics and County Bundles of elevation data are also available as value-added products.
The Elevation Download Tool allows users to access the original elevation data and metadata at the project level at which the source data was delivered. The project level elevation data sets are organized into the following directories:
- LiDAR QL2 Project: Classified LiDAR point data collected at Quality Level 2 (QL2) specifications (supports1-foot contours and is typically more current) and LiDAR-derived products (DEMs, Contours, Intensity Images). Please note that the data provided are in a compressed format(.zlas). Please refer to this document for decompressing.
- County Bundles: The best available elevation data (DEMs, hillshade, contours, LiDAR point files) organized by county for user convenience.
- DEM Mosaics: LiDAR-derived DEM and Hillshade mosaic products generated at the project and state levels.
- Contours - High Resolution: Contour lines derived from LiDAR and photogrammetry ranging from 10-foot to 1-foot intervals.
- Legacy LiDAR Project: Older, lower quality elevation data sets (QL3, QL4).
- WV State Elevation Catalog Metadata: A statewide compilation of all elevation metadata (catalog, graphic, GIS files of tiles and footprints, etc.).
The web application includes access to more than 10 different LiDAR project acquisitions. New elevation data will be added to the site as it becomes available. An interactive map allows users to identify areas of interest and then bulk download LiDAR or DEM tiles. Viewers may also choose to download publicly-available LiDAR, DEMs, and metadata from USGS's The National Map Download Tool.
Data providers of the WV elevation and LIDAR data include FEMA, USGS, USACE, WV Department of Environment Protection, WV View, WV GIS Technical Center, and select counties. FEMA has purchased QL2 LiDAR and derived elevation products for the entire State with the goal in three years to have a statewide 1-meter resolution DEM that supports 2- or 1-foot contours.
For more information or questions about the WV Elevation and LIDAR Download Tool, please contact Frank LaFone.